Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, February 11, 2021

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Our organist Brent shared an article about how this song was meaningful to someone at just the right time, and I think of how true that is with many songs, including hymns.

Regarding this particular hymn, His Eye is on the Sparrow, I think of all kinds of birds. I think of birds that are looked at with admiration and fondness, and those that are looked over, maybe because of their annoying behaviors, commonality, or invasiveness. In fact, I've included one below that isn't always favored in the birdwatching community. But God's "eye" is on them all! Just like He loves us all.

Maybe hearing the song during online worship last Sunday was meaningful to you! Lyrics are below, with the refrain printed just once:

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,

Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,

When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,

I sing because I’m free,

For His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,

And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;

Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,

When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,

I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.
















(photos I've taken over the years, some even here on the Eastridge property)


Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment