Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

The Tattered Butterfly


But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

I often photograph butterflies and other insects, and sometimes their wings are tattered. Occasionally, I wonder how they can continue to fly. But they do, and still look beautiful, if a bit worn. (That's a photo I took in Iowa last summer below).

I think of humans, and how we may look and feel a bit worn by the end of the day, or as we’re approaching the end of an ordeal, or even at the end of our lives. Like these insects, we have gone through much and have something to show for it!

God is with us, through it all. If we call on Him, He can give us strength. Maybe calling out in prayer will help give us:

·      that extra boost to make it through the day  

·      that sense of peace that settles on one’s heart when attending the funeral of a loved one

·      that calmness of spirit when one has gone through an illness, or has nursed a loved one through an illness

This isn’t to say we won’t experience grief, pain, fear. But when we ask, God will go along with us. We may end up a bit “tattered”, but that’s okay.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for being with me on the hard days. Renew my spirit with your guidance and love, so that I may continue to serve You and others while on this earth. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

(Click on photo to view larger)






No comments:

Post a Comment