Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Self-Exaltation


If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself. Galatians 6:3

I had my GPS. I didn’t need any help getting around the flood on my way to Kansas City. After all, I was a Nebraska farm girl. I was raised knowing what was north, south, east and west. We lived 10 miles north of town and 2 miles east of town when I was a child. I could tell which direction I was going. I had been to Kansas City many times.

Okay, the GPS doesn’t work in the Kansas vortex blocking the phone signals. The road signs are small, the traffic on Highway heavy, and I missed the turn on Highway 36 to St. Joseph. I ended up in Topeka. No problem, I will just head east and will get there. The problem was that I wanted to get there in time to see my granddaughter’s twins at dinner before they had to go to bed.

Now, I am on the wrong road west. Must stop and get the GPS back on the phone. Well, it did get me on Interstate 70, through tolls and to my daughter’s in time. However, I would say I was stressed and felt it in my chest. Rush hour on Interstate 70 from Topeka, by Lawrence into Kansas City didn’t help my stress level.

The peace of God is something I didn’t pray for. On the way home I called my friend to tell her about my trip. I was now looking for Love’s filling station as that was the place on the east side of the river where Highway 36 met Interstate 29. She prayed for me to find the right road and get home safely. All of a sudden my GPS talked to me, it had been silent most of the trip, and it said take the next exit. This was just in time for me to turn west on 36 and the south by-pass of St. Joseph was so smooth taking me to Nebraska. I hadn’t reached Love’s yet. Where was my prayer before?

Now, to top it all off, I prayed for her as she thought she had a stress fracture in her foot and needed to walk well in her next day’s travels. I prayed for healing for her foot. She called and said it was better right away when she walked to the mailbox.

Prayer: Dear Lord, please help us to remember you are there with us in all circumstances and will give us peace as travel on this world. You are able to relieve our stress at all times. Please keep us from thinking we are something when we are nothing. Thank you. Amen.

Sandra Hilsabeck-Hastings


No comments:

Post a Comment