Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Even When...Will I Still Believe?


Why do you complain, Jacob? Why do you say, Israel, “My way is hidden from the Lord; my cause is disregarded by my God”? Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.  Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:27-31 (NIV)

I wait [patiently] for the Lord, my soul [expectantly] waits, and in His word do I hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than the watchmen for the morning; more than the watchmen for the morning. O Israel, hope in the Lord; for with the Lord there is lovingkindness, and with Him is abundant redemption. Psalm 130:5-7 (AMP)

Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:26-28  (MSG)

For several years, I've been earnestly praying for an estranged relationship. I'm often asking God, “Why?! I just don't understand!” and “How long do You want things to go on like this?!” and “Isn't there something more I could do to move things along?” It seems as if God's not answering my questions.  I've tried to wait patiently for His timing, but it's SO hard!

This situation is truly putting my faith to the test. Even when things don't get better...even when I don't get answers...will I still believe? Unfortunately, when I worry and fret over this estranged relationship, I'm showing that I don't trust God to handle everything. It's a struggle not to put what I want ahead of what He wants.  But ultimately, my relationship with Him needs to come first...I must place my complete trust in who He is.

God sent me a hopeful, encouraging reminder in church recently. As we sang one of my favorites, “Everlasting God” (based on the scripture from Isaiah above), I remembered another time He spoke to me through that song. This time, God reassured me, “I've got this. Trust me. I haven't forgotten you. I've heard your prayers.” Oh, how my soul needed to hear that. I now feel strengthened for the journey ahead. 

I'm so thankful that God sometimes helps us in the waiting by sending us little--and sometimes big--reminders that He's heard our prayers. And He reassures us that, even when we don't see or understand how, He's still working for our good. So if I keep my eyes and ears open, I just might find the encouragement, strength and guidance I so much need. 

Prayer: God of Hope, forgive us for letting our faith waver when life's disappointing and doesn't go the way we want. During trying times, please give us the strength we need to hold tightly to hope. And thank you for the many ways you've been faithful throughout our lives. May we remember this to give us encouragement for today. Amen.

Sharon Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment