Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Wait Before Speaking

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 ESV
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person. Colossians 4:6 ESV  

This week was a week for anger. Or, this week was a week for impatience leading to anger. Or, this week was a week that frustrations led to impatience, which led to anger. I think I wanted to blame it all on the weather. In any case, I let my mood(s) get the better of me a couple of times. Here were the situations:

Following a blizzard, my family and I (and all of Lincoln) was anxiously awaiting the snowplows on our residential streets. The residential parking ban was in effect, and my two adult children who park in the street were aware of this.

My son came home from being snowed in another state to the east, and arrived home to quickly take a shower and head into work. His car was in the path of the snowplow, heading down our street not five minutes after his arrival. Yes, I was angry. Angry that my son didn't pull his car into the driveway briefly as I had suggested. In fact, I felt like a caricature of anger, red face and steam blowing out of my ears. However, since my son was in the shower I had a few minutes to calm down.

Later, my husband put down ice melt in an area that my pets walk in and I was tempted to loudly voice my disapproval. However, it was early morning, no one else was awake, and as time passed, I calmed down.

In both instances, I was given the gift of time (inadvertently). We’re not always so lucky…in most cases, we need to stop and think before speaking.

Today’s devotion from the First 5 app was titled “When Words Fly” and started off with this prayer: “O Lord, guard my mouth, help me to see the significance of quiet, deliberate, unhurried words.” The author went on to use this scripture: Proverbs 29:20 (ESV) "Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him." She also offers this in her commentary: “In a world that glorifies fast talkers and biting comebacks, this can seem countercultural. Our society rarely values silence and slowness. Yet the Bible tells us to be "slow to speak [and] slow to anger" (James 1:19); and “To think before we speak … this is how we look like Jesus.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, when I’m quick to become angry, help me to stop, take a deep breath, and not use harsh words. Help me remember that kind words are always welcome, and speaking out in anger does not solve problems, or make me feel better. Remind me that I can turn to you for peace, instead of lashing out. Be with those for whom anger is an ongoing issue. Amen.
Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment