Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, March 7, 2019

Desperation on a Friday


Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed. Proverbs 19:17  

Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God. Hebrews 13:16 

In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35  

Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7  

But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? 1 John 3:17 

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:1-4

Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38  

It’s a Friday afternoon, and it’s quiet in the church office. I’m the only staff member present, and I’m finishing tasks, thinking ahead to the weekend. Perhaps I’m wondering where my family and I may head for dinner that evening…or thinking ahead to the coffee I’ll enjoy Saturday morning while reading. In any case, as most Monday through Friday folks can attest, by the end of the day Friday most of us are ready for the weekend.

In the Eastridge office, we field calls from Eastridge Food Pantry clients, people wanting “gas vouchers”, people asking if we’ll help them pay their rent or help them with the electric bill. Requests other than Food Pantry calls are not frequent, and most of the time those calling are thankful for the assistance of our Food Pantry. However, some situations are different…some calls more desperate.

When a call comes in from someone desperate for help, it just feels different on a Friday.

I’m not sure why. Is it because I’m thinking ahead to the enjoyment of the weekend, and someone’s misfortune doesn’t quite fit? Is it because I know that this person may need to wait for Monday before help of any sort arrives, and I feel guilty because I don’t share those problems? Is it because, for me, weekends mean rest and relaxation, but for some, the hardships they face daily don’t take a break on the weekend? In fact, if it’s a family with children, it may be harder to feed everyone when the students in the household can’t enjoy a daily school lunch.

For some reason, when desperate people phone the church on Fridays, it feels different to me than if it occurs on a Monday, or any other weekday.

Is gratefulness enough? Should I hang up the phone and say a quick prayer: thank you, God, that my life doesn’t include asking for this kind of help…?

Maybe on a Friday, the above thoughts come together to make me realize: this desperate person on the phone could be me. I could be sitting in my house on a Friday afternoon with no heat, no lights, no air conditioning. I could be the one with half a loaf of bread left on the pantry shelf.

When I searched for scripture regarding helping those in need, over 100 verses were listed (some of which I included above). However, there’s no one answer to helping others. God wants us to notice them and reach out in whatever way we can. Thankfully, I can offer a food box to anyone who calls asking the church for financial assistance. Eastridge supports many entities locally and globally that give to those in need. However, sometimes those calling the office want more than I (Eastridge) can offer, and, instead of being able to give them what they want, maybe just a kind word, a sympathetic ear will help in some way. We underestimate the power of kind words and deeds. Can we offer God’s love to them? Absolutely, every time.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to notice those in need, every day of the week. Encourage us to help when we can, and offer a kind word, a smile, and loving support when we can’t offer monetary assistance. Remind us to be thankful for what you’ve blessed us with, every day of the week. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment