Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, February 11, 2019

Mercy, Let's Show Mercy!


"God blesses those who are merciful, for they shall be shown mercy."  Matthew 5:7

Webster defines mercy as compassion or forbearance, especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; compassionate treatment of those in tough situations. It seems that being judgmental is not very compatible with showing mercy to others. The ultimate show of mercy is Jesus dying for our sins on the cross.

I have been thinking of ways that I can be more merciful. For friends and family members who have annoying habits, I would like to try to be more accepting and kind. So she talks too loud or too much, I shall overlook that and focus on my feelings of love and appreciation for that person. I shall try to be more patient. Focusing on others' negative traits is not being merciful nor does it make me look better or even feel better.

I have also been working on forgiveness and giving people second chances. Helping others when they make mistakes is more God-like than kicking them when they are down. It is not merciful to remind them of their mistakes, or to not help that loved one grow or do better. It is merciful to be there for them.

I want to extend help and kindness to those who are hurting, to be there for them and to help relieve their pain and suffering.  

I want to extend mercy to those who are on the edge of society, who do not fit in or have a place at the table. I want to help them feel loved and accepted.

Prayer: Father God, we thank you for being merciful and loving. May we strive to show mercy to others on a daily basis. Thank you for the ultimate show of mercy: Jesus, your Son, dying on the cross so that we might have eternal salvation.

Connie Barry




No comments:

Post a Comment