Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, February 7, 2019

Barns and Structures


"For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18:20

Depending on the building, it can bring back certain memories. If I see a chicken coop I remember all the chickens we raised when I was a kid. If I see a house with a porch, I remember sitting on my folks' porch talking with them while looking out on the fields. I see a windmill, I see my uncle's farm with the big metal tanks filled with water and sometimes fish. A farm building with a fenced area makes me think of the horses, sheep, pigs and other animals I was privileged enough to be raised around.

I remember our big barn where we played as kids. It was a place to work but also a place to be kids.  Now there is a big barn where I live and as I was walking around the yard by the barn and windmill it’s hard to explain the comfort I feel.

Then there are the churches, a small white church with a tall steeple with a bell reminds me of singing, Sunday school, and the church service that always gave me comfort and renewed hope and strength to go through each day knowing He was with me each step. 

I remember when my father passed away, Sunday morning came and my mother said God would understand if we didn’t attend. It is a time of mourning. I remember telling her no, I want to go to church and we did. Where else is a better place to be when you are in pain?  A few congregation members were surprised that we would attend but I never felt more of the comfort of our Lord than in His house.

It is so important to attend church, bring your children, family and friends. To build that structure, not only the physical, but the spiritual structure.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for churches, the pastors, and congregation that join in building a solid foundation for us to stand on when we need it and at times while we continue to grow in His love. Amen

Lori Hood




No comments:

Post a Comment