Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Growing for the Lord


I am the true vine, and my Father is the Gardener. He lops off every branch that doesn’t produce. And he prunes those branches that bear fruit for even larger crops. He has already tended you by the commands I gave you. Take care to live in me, and let me live in you. For a branch can’t produce fruit when severed from the vine. Nor can you be fruitful apart from me. Yes, I am the Vine; you are the branches. Whoever lives in me and I in Him shall produce a large crop of fruit. For apart from me you can’t do a thing. John 15:1-5

How very true that a plant will not grow and may even die and wither away if it is not nourished correctly. We also need this nourishment. I experience this day in and day out in my profession. Sometimes only certain pieces need to be added or removed for the plant to flourish again. But if those pieces are broken or severed it doesn’t matter what is added or deleted for nourishment, the plant will not grow.

Our lives follow this same pattern. We see those plants (people) that always are struggling to live by God’s word. Someday we might slip into that category, but as long as we do not become severed, faith in God, his love and our desire to grow will nurture us through those rough times. When we start growing good again, we can bear fruit and seeds. We can then plant these seeds so that they may grow. As these seeds grow it is our job as God’s children to nurture the new plants until they too bear fruit and seeds. This also ties together with our need for passionate spirituality. This spirituality or nourishment will give us the desire to grow and plant more seeds so that this word will be spread throughout the world.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for nurturing us every day. Please give us the spirituality to help us grow, and help those who do not know you like we know you. Be with us as we spread your word. Give us the wisdom and strength to carry out your plan. Apart from you we can’t be anything. In Jesus' Name We Pray, Amen.

Brooks Rushman (reprinted from the Eastridge Daily Devotion book, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment