Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Baalam and the Donkey


But God was very angry when he went, and the angel of the Lord stood in the road to oppose him. Balaam was riding on his donkey, and his two servants were with him. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with a drawn sword in his hand, it turned off the road into a field. Balaam beat it to get it back on the road.

Then the angel of the Lord stood in a narrow path through the vineyards, with walls on both sides. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it pressed close to the wall, crushing Balaam’s foot against it. So he beat the donkey again.

Then the angel of the Lord moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left. When the donkey saw the angel of the Lord, it lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat it with his staff. Then the Lord opened the donkey’s mouth, and it said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”

Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If only I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now.”

The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”

“No,” he said.

Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.

The angel of the Lord asked him, “Why have you beaten your donkey these three times? I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me. The donkey saw me and turned away from me these three times. If it had not turned away, I would certainly have killed you by now, but I would have spared it.”

Balaam said to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned. I did not realize you were standing in the road to oppose me. Now if you are displeased, I will go back.”

The angel of the Lord said to Balaam, “Go with the men, but speak only what I tell you.” So Balaam went with Balak’s officials. Numbers 22:22-35
     

Who would ever expect to hear the word of God from the least expected source?  Even a donkey! 

Baalam was invited by the king and elders of Moab and Midian to come with them and assist them because of a people from Egypt who have conquered the land next to them (Numbers 21). The people of Moab and Midian were afraid and were not able to defend themselves should they be invaded.  But the Lord advised Baalam not to go or to do anything foolish against those new neighbors, for the Lord called them “blessed.” Still the king and the people of Moab and Midian insisted that Baalam come with them.  God said for Baalam to go, but do nothing except for whatever God tells him to do.

Apparently, Baalam went, but God wondered if he was really faithful.  As Baalam rode his donkey, the donkey suddenly stopped and would go no further for the donkey saw an agent of God – possibly an angel – with a sword blocking their passage. Baalam could see nothing. He beat the donkey three times and then the angel spoke through the donkey to wonder why he would beat the donkey. Just then, the Lord made it possible for Baalam to see the agent of God and hear once again the word of caution that God initially gave Baalam, He could go to Midian and Moab, but only do what God would ask of him.

I had the rare opportunity to watch the Legislature in session on TV this week and Ernie Chambers was speaking. Now I admit, I have many times disagreed with Ernie on many, many things! He is a regular critic of the Church and Christianity. However, this week I heard Ernie give a reflection citing Jesus and how His disciples and even the chief priests would not listen to whatever Jesus would teach them. Chambers mentioned that Jesus showed them what He wanted to do through the miracles of the feeding the thousands, healing people, or raising some from the dead like Lazarus. Would the disciples see, believe and listen? Chambers’ point was that one listen to the other and work with one another regardless of political persuasion. Will I agree the next time Ernie speaks?  Likely not, but this time he spoke sense.

My challenge to all people of faith is to listen as Baalam had to listen to a donkey and I had to listen to one with whom I have disagreed many times.  God speaks His word and we better have ears to hear.

Prayer: Lord, give us ears to hear Your counsel. Grant us the faith and trust to risk doing what You would have us do this day in Jesus’ name. Amen.

Rev. Dr. John J. Duling

No comments:

Post a Comment