Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Smile

"A cheerful look brings joy to the heart; good news makes for good health.” Proverbs 15:30
“Make your face shine on your servant; save me in your steadfast love!” Psalm 31:16
“Many people say, “Who will show us better times?” Let your face smile on us, LORD.” Psalm 4:6
“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
When I was new to the church it was the smiling faces and the greetings that led me to come back again. I remember a couple of different individuals (besides the ministers) that stood out to me. It was during the passing of the peace that I found myself shaking hands with the few individuals around me, when the organist came up beside me and greeted me with a smiling face and open hand. I was in awe that she took the effort to come all the way from up front to greet me. Another was one of the choir members that greeted me with a smiling face, and I have since seen her up front always with a smile on her face which even on my gloomiest days gives me a burst of happiness. It is amazing what a smile will do. I think I have stated before I am not at my most comfortable with one on one conversations and greetings. I would rather be giving a speech to a big group than stumbling through my words with one individual. I have never been comfortable with the passing of peace as a person struggling to be the first to speak. But it is those moments that have meant the most to me in deciding to join Eastridge.

I believe that a smile can change an individual's outlook on the day. I have heard it takes less muscle to smile than to frown. So if you are one of those individuals that have greeted and offered your hand, Thank you; not only from me but from the visitors and the new members. Your smile can be shared with someone who will then share a smile with someone else.  
Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment