Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Today is the Day


Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34 (NIV)
 
A popular praise song by Lincoln Brewster is called "Today Is the Day."   Here are some of the lyrics:  "I’m casting my cares aside, I’m leaving my past behind, I’m setting my heart and mind on You Jesus.  I’m reaching my hand to Yours, Believing there’s so much more, Knowing that all You have in store for me is good.  Today is the day You have made, I will rejoice and be glad in it; And I won’t worry about tomorrow, I’m trusting in what You say. Today is the day."

The song particularly struck home with me this time.  Especially the phrase, "I won't worry about tomorrow."  I have to admit that I worry a lot.  And usually it's about things that I have no control over anyway, so the worrying is a waste of time.  Like the weather.  Or it may be something I have at least some control over; like whether I have enough money to retire.  And sometimes it's something that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things; like what to wear to a special event.

I need to work on trusting in what God has to say and in setting my mind and heart on Jesus.  God has made the day and everything in it, and He watches over me at all times.  I struggle with wanting control over everything, when it would be better to remember that God is in control.  All he has in store for me is good.  As the scripture states, tomorrow will worry about itself. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, As we approach a new year, we realize every day could present problems, but it doesn't help to worry.  The Lord has made each day, and we need to rejoice and be glad in it.  God is in control and will handle our worries if we simply turn them over to him.  Please forgive us for thinking we can handle everything ourselves and for wasting time worrying about the future. Help us to cast our cares aside and reach our hand to yours.  Amen.

Robin Hadfield
robinhad@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment