Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Avid Reader


Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; but you shall meditate therein day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall have good success.

I have always said I am not an avid reader; but maybe that is not totally the whole story. I do love to read news articles, history books, autobiographies and of course Facebook. (If you can consider that reading). As a young child I was privileged to have many books in the house to read. It was important to my Mom that we had books available to read. She was an avid reader of all kinds of books, love novels, fiction, non-fictional, medical, magazines ...you name it she read it. I remember as a child having the wonderful “picture” books with Cinderella, baby ducks and cuddly kittens to look at more than the words themselves. Probably the first book I remember reading by myself was “The Adventures of Mrs. Quack” and I read it several times. I think besides the enjoyment of the story it was the pride that I completed it by myself.  

As a teenager I worked for a wonderful friend and mentor in her home helping her clean house, cook and watch over her elderly mother. She was an avid reader of the Bible. I remember admiring her for your loyalty and dedication to her faith. She set aside two hours every morning at her desk. This was her planning time. She reviewed her schedule, wrote notes and communication, read her bible then prayed for most of the second hour on asking His guidance and protection on her daily activities, for those she felt needed a prayer, and any other concerns she may have had. She then proceeded on her daily activities. I know she prayed many other times during the day, but her morning routine inspired me to set aside some of my time during the day to read and spend time with my Lord. 

I am grateful to have had her and my parents to inspire me to read the bible and spend time with the Lord. One of my inspirations is to someday to have completely read the whole Bible. I would love to say I have done it, but I find myself many times returning to the same portions or stories that I have enjoyed or find inspirational to me for whatever life event I am facing. 

Dear Lord: Help me to be an avid reader of the Word. Inspire me to continue to find the comfort and guidance I need from the words of so long ago. Inspire me to achieve my goal and continue to read for the answers of yesterday and todays crisis. Help me inspire someone else to find the same excitement I find as I reread the stories of our past. Thank you for your guidance and protection and continue to help me find your path to becoming an avid reader. AMEN

Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. 2 Thessalonians 3:16

Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment