Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, December 8, 2017

For Unto Us a Child is Born


For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and his name shall be called Wonderful Counsellor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 

 
On November 19 Voices of Omaha performed Handel’s Messiah at the Holland Center.  This was the 49th annual performance on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  Six of us high school classmates traveled to Omaha to watch another classmate and his daughter sing in the choir.  The Halleluiah chorus was magnificent but so were the other songs as well.  My favorite thing to do at musical performances is to close my eyes so I can really listen to the words and sounds. You can just feel the music.  It is such a joy and moves me so that I take a sharp breath in! 

 
I particularly liked the song “For Unto Us a Child is Born” and its descriptions of Jesus from Isaiah.  Those descriptions of Jesus reminded me of the memorable and uplifting video during an Eastridge sermon many years ago where we watched the video of Dr. S. M. Lockridge “That’s My King”.  Dr. Lockridge was the pastor of Calvary Baptist Church in San Diego.  This portion is the last six minutes of a sermon in 1976.  It is well worth the six minutes to watch it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqTFNfeDnE

 
During this Advent season may the Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace be known to you in a personal way.
 

Prayer: Lord Jesus, come now and reign in me, Be Lord of my life this hour.
Come be my Counselor and my God, My source of wisdom and power.
Watch o'er me with your Father care, My heart and my mind, fill with peace.
I worship you, my Lord and King, My praise will never cease.  

AMEN.  (Lyrics from Handel’s Messiah “For Unto Us A Child is Born”)

 
Cathy Schapmann

No comments:

Post a Comment