Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, March 23, 2017

Judging Others


“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. ... Matthew 7:1-29 

My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? James 2:1-4 

Many of us run into those who, in their daily lives, struggle for things we may take for granted: food, a home, lives that are not ruled by extreme ups and downs. 

So, what do we do? We help them. We feel pity for them. We love them, in our Christian way. But we don’t necessarily want to spend time with them, or become friends with them. Something might rub off on us. We don’t have anything in common with them, or so we believe. We may have our own issues and weaknesses, but our particular problems and failings are “not as bad”. This attitude is dangerous. It turns our dealings into “us vs. them” mentality, when it should really be: all of us together, making our way in this world. 

Recently I gave a ride to a woman whose life is hard right now…she’s far away from family, her health is failing, and she struggles to find work. It was on a particularly busy day for me, and she was late getting ready. I felt impatient, inconvenienced. She is close to my age, and was asking me about my family, even though her English is not good. One thing she said that was so simple, but has stayed with me: “you have a good life”. It made me realize that the little things like being late, being busy, are small problems to have. She’s right, I have a good life! I am blessed, and should share those blessings with others. It’s great that we give food, money, clothing…but let’s give our time and friendship, also. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to notice those with less. Help me to reach out and be a friend. Give me ears to hear, so that I may truly listen to the needs of others around me. Amen. 

Donna Gustafson 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment