Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, March 1, 2017


ASH WEDNESDAY March 1

 

Most Gracious and Loving God, I seek this day to remember that I am dust and to dust I shall return.

God, why do I fear begin mortal? Perhaps I think it diminishes me in your sight.

And yet…

the flower that is here today and gone tomorrow is no

less precious to you simply because it is transitory.

the sparrow that falls to the ground is no less precious to you simply because of its frailty.

So with me. I’m previous to you even though all too soon my body

will be food for the worms.

Thank you, Lord, for assuring me of my infinite worth.

I can now face the real truth about myself, namely, that

I am dust, and to dust I shall return. And after…the

resurrection of the dead!

Amen.

  

 

This prayer was composed following an evening Ash Wednesday service at a small Episcopal Church in Glendora, California. It marked the beginning of my Lenten meditations from which these prayers originated.

 

~Richard J. Foster, Prayers From The Heart

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment