Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, December 5, 2016


ADVENT DECEMBER 5

PEACE ON EARTH

 

“And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God and saying ‘Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors!’” Luke 2:13-14

 
The Christmas Carol, “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day,” speaks to me and expresses my emotions ranging from despair to hope.  Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote the words as a poem on Christmas Day in 1864.  The poem was set to music in 1872 by an English organist, John Baptiste Calkin.  Others set the poem to other music after that.

 
Last Christmas, my daughter Darcie introduced me to a Casting Crowns version with a few changes in lyrics of “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day.”  Its refrain emphasizes, even more than the original, “Peace on earth, goodwill to men.”  I identify with Henry Wadsworth Longfellow’s feelings of hope and wistfulness for “Peace on earth” followed by his expression of despair.  I wonder, “Why can’t we ‘get it right?’”

 
At the 222nd Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly (2016) the assembly reaffirmed a commitment to peacemaking.  The assembly underscored the centrality of peacemaking to Christian faith and promised to “practice boldly the things that make for peace.”  Presbyterians are challenged to respond to and prevent violence through prayer, direct action, and advocacy.  How can we answer God’s call and respond to violence and war today? “Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me.”                                                                                                                                                                                    

The Casting Crowns’ lyrics encourage me to feel hopeful again. Here are some excerpts from “I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day” variations on this refrain by Casting Crowns.

                       

            And the bells are ringing (Peace on Earth)

            Like a choir they’re singing (Peace on Earth)

            In my heart I hear them

            Peace on earth, good will to men.

           
I cling to this truth. God is with us through all of the scary times and violence in our world.  That is my hope and my prayer.

 
Prayer:  God, we seek your peace in our daily lives.  We know you are with us today and always.  Amen.

 

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment