Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 21, 2016


ADVENT DECEMBER 23

THANKS

 

I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. Psalm 7:17 


Each year, in November, I write about something for which I am thankful.  In years past, I wrote about things that I have and therefore am thankful. This year, I am going to use this devotion to give thanks for things I do not have.  There are so many things that we do not have for which I am thankful.  An empty cupboard is the first that comes to mind.  If my cupboard is empty, I can easily fill it again.  I am thankful that I do not have to go to bed hungry.

An autoimmune disease is the second thing that I am grateful that I do not have. A friend’s husband recently died after many years of suffering in ways that I can only fathom. To not have this disease, I give thanks.

Thank you, God, for allowing all of my children and grandchildren to be well and well-adjusted.  Friends often speak of their sons in hushed voices for still another physical or mental disease that plagues them. Lord, be with them and accept my thanks that, so far, we do not have those problems in our family.

Too much month and not enough money is another problem that I am thankful that we do not have.  Yes, we are not the richest people that we know, but we have plenty to carry us through each month and year.

Perhaps you can think of other things that you do not have for which you are thankful.  There are many. Just look around and give thanks and maybe help.

Prayer: Dear God, help us to be thankful each day for all that we have been given and to become alert to other’s needs. Amen.
 

Carolyn F. Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment