Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, December 12, 2016


                   ADVENT DECEMBER 12

BE STILL

 

“Be still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

When I am overcome with so much to do and so little time left to get it done, I need to regroup, pause, take a deep breath and have some silence to refocus.  How many of us are caught in the treadmill of constant motion during the holiday time that we fail to recall why all this stuff happens? 

Advent is a time for such refocus and silent reflection.  It is sitting back and just letting the simple scene of a nativity overcome one’s thoughts and spirit. Activity like looking at the animals just grazing from a trough, or watching Mary and Joseph adore their newborn child, or the awe of a shepherd beholding the baby, or even the Magi bringing their gifts to a young Magi of the manger. Take time and look at the star above the crèche.

As one is watching what seems to be lifeless carvings or clay figures, realize how the breathing begins to ease and become slow and rested. Notice how the sheer silence of the moment is absent of distraction.  It is a brief moment indeed, but enough to pause and hear God assure one and all to “be still and know that I am God.”

Prayer:  Gracious God, still my anxious stress with the peace of Your presence and in the simplicity of awe.  Help me see the nativity of Your Son so that tired eyes, weary mind, and fast-beating heart can be quieted for just a moment. Then, I can imagine the calm of Your Word grace me with “Be still and know that I am God.”  In the name of Him for whom we await.  Amen.

 
John Duling

No comments:

Post a Comment