Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Your Shoulders

Pile your troubles on GOD’s shoulders—he’ll carry your load, he’ll help you out. Psalm 55:22  (MSG)

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. Psalm 46:1-2 (NIV)

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31 (NIV)

Last year I was having a hard time coping with too much on my plate. The saying, “God doesn't give us more than we can handle”, is simply NOT true! Whoever came up with that saying probably misinterpreted 1 Corinthians 10:13, which says, “And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.” Temptation and suffering have very different meanings.

Unfortunately, there was no backing out of any of my difficult situations, they all needed to be faced. This is hard enough for the average person, but for someone who suffers from anxiety...overwhelming! When the last stressful situation dropped on my plate, it was already too full. I had so many doubts. “Really, God?! How can I do it all? I don't have anything left to give—I'm spent. It's all too much. I just can't!”

When I finished complaining and sulking, I fell to my knees and earnestly prayed. “Ok, God. I know you want me to walk through this. I admit, it's more than I can handle. But I do know what scripture says about your character, and I remember the amazing ways you've worked in my life. You've shown me you're faithful, you're strong, you're wise. YOU can handle this...so please walk with me every step of the way. Please give me the guidance, strength and peace I so need.”

I won't lie, the next several months were not sunshine and roses, but there were moments I strongly felt His presence, His peace. I prayed continually and leaned hard on Jesus. In fact, sometimes I think He probably carried me, because I'm not really sure how I made it through. I do know He gave me friends, family and Christian music as my support system. This part of the song, “Shoulders”, by For King & Country especially spoke to me: “My help comes from You / You’re right here, pulling me through /

You carry my weakness, my sickness, my brokenness all on Your shoulders... / My help comes from You / You are my rest, my rescue / I don’t have to see to believe that You’re lifting me up on Your shoulders...”

The next time I have too much on my plate, I hope to “Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually.” (2 Chronicles 16:11)...and immediately! For if I do, I will not need to fear or be dismayed...for God will strengthen me and help me; He will uphold me with His righteous right hand. (from Isaiah 41:10).

Prayer: Strong and faithful Father, forgive us for doubting your ability to guide us through the difficult situations we face. Thank you, from the bottom of our hearts, for the many times you've lovingly pulled us through, or even carried us on your shoulders. Amen.

Sharon Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment