Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Making Space

When Jesus saw Nathanael approaching, he said of him, “Here truly is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit.”

“How do you know me?” Nathanael asked.

Jesus answered, “I saw you while you were still under the fig tree before Philip called you.”

Then Nathanael declared, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.”

Jesus said, “You believe because I told you I saw you under the fig tree. You will see greater things than that.” He then added, “Very truly I tell you, you will see ‘heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending’ on the Son of Man.” John 1:47-51 NIV

While listening to the daily lectio divina from the Ritual app, I noticed a link between this scripture and the book my Wednesday morning bible study was studying. When listening to this passage I focused on the words “You will see greater things than that.” Whether or not this is the interpretation meant by this passage didn’t matter to me: what I heard echoed what I was reading the author of our current study, Kelly Minter, tell us when we allow space to let God into our lives. Greater things can happen in our lives if we just allow God to do His work in us.

“Making space” is a phrase that is used in this study in reference to letting God into those spaces in our lives that may be occupied by idols. “No Other Gods” by Kelly Minter helps us “evaluate the modern-day idols in our culture and embrace a deeper, more meaningful relationship with Jesus.”

I was also thinking of this when I became preoccupied with a situation with a friend that I felt powerless to control. But then I thought: what if I just give space to God and not worry about the outcome? Taking this a step further, whenever I find myself worrying about something, I think of that two-word phrase: “Making space” and imagine God filling it. If I’m worried about a looming event, I focus on making space for God instead. If I’m preoccupied with how I appear to others, I focus on making space for God instead.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to make space for you in our lives so that the idols are shoved aside. We know we are works in progress, be patient with us as we learn. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment