Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, November 14, 2022

Two Things to Remember

1.  But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned. Matthew 12:36-37

2.  And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Matthew 12:31-32

We definitely have to be careful what we say. My Bible Study group sighed when we read these verses as we studied them in the book of Matthew. It is often we hear words spoken in anger that never should have been said. And the verses imply judgment will be made in accordance with our words.

We must also be careful to be truthful when we talk about our Lord and Savior because blasphemy against the Spirit is the one unpardonable sin. All other sins are forgiven when we confess them to our Lord.

Max Lucado states in his study of Matthew, “The worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful.” In the familiar prayer:

“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray thee, Lord, my soul to keep; if I should die before I wake, I pray thee, Lord, my soul to take,” shows a worry and need to pray for God to take the person’s soul.

Chas Morse states the prayer would show confidence in God if it read, “Now I lay me down to sleep, if I should die before I wake, I confidently trust the Lord my soul to take.”

Our words mean a lot, so it is important we are not careless with them and to speak truthfully about the Spirit of our Lord and Savior.

Prayer: Dear Father in Heaven, guide us when we speak. Help us to believe your words which tell us you will be with us and protect us as we go forward. Help us to speak truthfully. Amen.

Sandra Hilsabeck

No comments:

Post a Comment