Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Grace Alone

Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12: 7-10

We have watched every one of the 18 days of Olympics. We have cheered for so many feats of physical and emotional strength. The perseverance of these young athletes on their journey to Olympic gold is amazing and inspiring. Unlike the games of the past, family and friends couldn’t travel to the competitions with the athletes and there were frequent flashes to the crowds back at home cheering them on. Most of us can’t imagine such a journey. 

You and I are on our own journeys; journeys that also require physical and emotional strength and perseverance. How is today going? Are you feeling strong enough to climb a mountain? Or are you struggling and looking for hope of a better day? As humans, it’s likely that at some moment now or in the very near future, we will feel both. Paul reminds us that our goal is not to be strong all the time. Fortunately, we also don’t need to feel a sense of failure when we struggle or feel weak. It’s exactly in those moments that we can embrace our weakness and turn to Christ’s power to give us the boost we need to go for gold. The Lord who loves us so much, gives us all the grace we need to do all that He asks of us. 

In their anthem today, our choir provided a lovely offering of a beautiful melody with powerful lyrics of praise. We were all reminded that in everything – every hope, every action, every emotion, every accomplishment and every weakness – we find our strength in the grace of our Lord. 

Grace Alone (Song by Jeff Nelson and Scott Wesley Brown)

Every promise we can make

Every prayer and step of faith

Every difference we can make

Is only by His grace

Every mountain we will climb

Every ray of hope we shine

Every blessing left behind

Is only by His grace

Every soul we long to reach

Every heart we hope to teach

Everywhere we share His peace

Is only by His grace

Every loving word we say

Every tear we wipe away

Every sorrow turned to praise

Is only by His grace

Grace alone

Which God supplies

Strength unknown

He will provide

Christ in us

Our cornerstone

We will go forth in grace alone

Prayer: Dear God of Grace, what peace it gives me that in anything I encounter today, your grace will be sufficient. It’s sufficient for my good moments and for those that feel like failures. Thank you for the scriptural reminder that weakness is not something to avoid, but only a time to embrace your hope and grace and give you glory. Thank you for loving me in all my moments. Amen

Lori Snyder-Sloan

No comments:

Post a Comment