Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 19, 2021

Thy love has broken every barrier down

"....and the one who comes to Me, I will by no means cast out..."-John 6:37

Just As I Am, Thy love unknown

has broken every barrier down... 

One of my favorite sermons Pastor Melodie preached was during my first few weeks my family and I came to Eastridge. She preached earnestly about falling in love with Jesus again and caring most about "the least of these" meaning the children in our church family and community. 

I was reminded of this last night when we joyously had a choir rehearsal that Brian put together. Each person who came in the room, new or old choir friends, children of choir members, people who had sung in choir many years or those who it was their first time, each person was greeted by Brian and by other choir friends. The smiles on their faces as we sang hymns filled my heart with such joy.  When we got to the verse of Just As I Am about love breaking down every barrier and then sang Jesus Loves Me, I couldn't but help feel tears in my eyes. After the choir rehearsal, my kids ran down the hall and were greeted so enthusiastically by choir members. I was reminded once again of the amazing way a church choir lives out the gospel of Jesus Christ! Breaking down those barriers in love, from a hug, or a smile, or helping someone learn their notes. A church choir is such an amazing thing! People from the congregation gathering to prepare for worship!

Brian always lets us know about something happening on Sunday. What the sermon is about, or if there is a baptism, or helps us think about the text of a hymn or anthem. What a blessing it is to prepare our hearts for what God has laid on the hearts of Pastor Melodie or Pastor Thomas to share. What a blessing it is to enter that sanctuary on Sunday to hear the Word, to celebrate the sacraments, and to see a group of our congregation at the front helping, not only to lead us in worship, but remind us that ALL are welcome. To remind us that God, who is LOVE, has broken every barrier down! 

Thanks be to God.

Brent Shaw


 

No comments:

Post a Comment