Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Tolerance

Do to others as you would have them do to you. “If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Luke 6:31-36

Have you ever encountered a person and you feel like your patience is wearing very thin?  You start counting to 100, take deep breaths, or maybe just step away for a minute to maintain a level of calmness.  It is so hard sometimes, and especially when you know that you will be dealing with this person again in the future. Maybe it’s a person that is never cheerful, or doesn’t know the correct volume level (very loud), uses profanity or is simply just unpleasant. Then there is the person that walks into the room and everyone sighs.

Going through the kindness daily reminders in June, I have found myself doing a lot of self-checking. In this scenario I have had to step back and reevaluate.  There are so many hidden reasons why people are like they are; either a health condition that is not visible, a family situation that is not apparent, or a traumatic life experience that may affect their everyday life. I have health conditions that are not visible when you meet me and I know that at times it causes me to struggle to deal with my daily activities. How am I portrayed as a pleasant person: am I seen as grumpy, am I speaking at the normal volume level and do I present myself well even on those most struggling of days?

Take the time to take those deep breaths, remember that you may not know what all their struggles are and if they have more to deal with than what is visible to an outsider. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, please help me remain calm, take a few breaths, and say a prayer for myself and others when I encounter someone with whom it is hard to understand their attitude. Help me to remember on those difficult days when I may not be feeling the best not to exchange that feeling to the person I am with.  Forgive me when I lose my cool, and forgive me if I wasn’t polite, caring and understanding every day. Help me become the person who reflects your love to others whether I feel I want to or not. Teach me to be more understanding of others. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

Begin each day:  Lord help me to be the best I can be.  Help me to spread your love through my attitude, words and actions.   

Lori Hood


No comments:

Post a Comment