Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, December 10, 2020

Be Still

The Lord is in his holy temple; let all the earth be silent before him. Habakkuk 2:20 NIV

God showed how much he loved us by sending his one and only Son into the world so that we might have eternal life through him. 1 John 4:9  NLT

Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. James 4:8 NIV

And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Ephesians 3:18-19 NLT 

Over the past several months, my anxiety levels have been gradually increasing.  It helps my anxiety when I draw closer to Jesus, but unfortunately, my efforts so far have been rather inconsistent.  Now, with the start of the Christmas season, I'm motivated to seek Him more earnestly.  And in this seeking, I've been inspired by a few Christmas hymns.

I've always been drawn to Christmas hymns that are quiet and flowing...that speak of silence, stillness, awe, reverence.  Silent Night and O Little Town of Bethlehem have long been among my favorites.  And this year, Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence also speaks to me, especially the first verse: “Let all mortal flesh keep silence / and with fear and trembling stand / ponder nothing earthly minded / for with blessing in his hand / Christ our God to earth descendeth / our full homage to demand.”  

As I close my eyes and really listen to this verse, I hear God asking me to make a more consistent effort to be still before Him...clearing my mind of all earthly distractions.  He wants me, in that stillness, to ponder the birth of the Christ Child.  I must stand silently in that stable, gazing upon Jesus in awe, wonder and reverence.  I must focus on the love...what an amazing gift it is.  I must try to understand “how wide, how long, how high and how deep” that love is. Though I know I will never fully comprehend it, I must keep trying. For it's in that effort that I can draw closer to Jesus...and let my anxieties fade away. 

Prayer: Dearest Jesus, forgive us for letting our anxieties keep us from a close relationship with you. Help us remember to be still and ponder your amazing love--not just during Advent, but every day.  And thank you so much for your loving support during the anxious moments of our lives.   Amen.

Sharon Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment