Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Helping Others

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place.  “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them.   “You call me Teacher and Lord, and rightly so, for that is what I am.   Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.”  John 13: 12-17

This last month I was fortunate enough to help out on a Tuesday night with the Food Pantry. In all honesty, it wasn’t hard work, and there were enough of us helping that it didn’t take long at all. In a way, I kind of felt guilty as I drove back home that the task wasn’t harder and didn’t take longer!  And then I realized what a selfish thought that really is, as though if helping out were harder, then  I would feel  better  about having helped. All me, me, me.   Volunteering and helping do things for others shouldn’t be about the helper; it really is all about those being helped. Sounds simple, doesn’t it? And yet we’re humans with complex emotions and wants. Christ provided us with the ultimate example of servitude toward others without asking for anything in return except our faith in him, our knowledge that he died so that we might have a place in the Kingdom of God. What a truly glorious gift he gave to us! Our hope for ourselves should be that we emulate his example as best we can to others here on earth.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help me to open my heart that I might be a better helper to others.  And above all else, let me always remember that the power and glory are yours alone, and it’s through you that I gather strength and comfort to do what I hope is right in your eyes.  In Christ’s name,  Amen.

Greg Tubach (reprinted from Eastridge Daily Devotion book, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment