Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, May 21, 2018

Angels in Disguise


“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might.  Keep these words that I am commanding you today in your heart.  Recite them to your children and talk about them when you are at home and when you are away, when you lie down and when you rise.” Deuteronomy 6:5-7  

“Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.” Proverbs 22:6  


I received a T-shirt with this message, “Mothers are Just Angels in Disguise.” The T-shirt’s creator probably meant this to give moms a “pat on the back.” However, many moms may see it as raising expectations for mothers. One weary mother remarked, “I could be a good mom if it weren’t so daily.”


How do parents handle all the expectations and demands of everyday life?  Not alone!  “It takes a village to raise a child,” states an often-quoted proverb.  In a church community, we can support families as they face the challenges of too little time and resources. We can reach out to support community agencies and groups that help families with their many needs. We can offer daily prayers for children and parents in our church, community and around the world.


Sometimes parents become overwhelmed because they forget that children’s needs are really quite simple. As John Thompson writes, “What children are looking for is a hug, a lap, a kind word, a touch, someone to read them a story, somebody to smile and share with.”


A children’s book my daughter gave me, I Love My Mommy Because reminds, “I love my mommy because she reads me stories.  She listens when I talk.  She feeds me when I’m hungry.”  It continues with a few other simple thoughts ending with, “I love my mommy and my mommy loves me”.


Parents, grandparents and “a village” can raise each child following the example of the Great Teacher and the Golden Rule, “Do to others as you would have them do to you.” – Luke 6:31


Prayer: Dear God, remind us that we don’t need to know all the answers. Help us to be grateful for the children you have placed in our care. We desire to follow your example of unconditional love.  Guide us daily as we seek to love, forgive, and be in your Presence. Amen.


Lois Poppe (reprinted from May 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment