Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, February 1, 2018

"For as he thinks in his heart, so is he"


For as he thinks in his heart, so is he. Proverbs 23:7 

This scripture, like all other scripture verses, is taken from the Word of God.  Therefore, it is true, believable. That is, it is a verse for me to read, understand, and use as a guide to my life. Okay, I have to say that when I think of some of the thoughts that pass through my brain on a daily basis, this truth is downright scary to me. I do not want to be selfish, small, negative, critical of others, a worrier, mean spirited, judgmental; yet, didn't I have some thoughts that reflected these character traits today and yesterday? 

As I reflect on my knowledge of human behavior from basic Psychology, I remember that what I think leads to my actions, which influences how I feel.  Our thoughts are so powerful, as they direct our actions and feelings and our very lives. 

My negative thinking about myself, a situation, another person, can so influence how I act toward myself, how I react to what is happening in my life, and how I treat or react to others. If I give into negative thoughts, worry, dwelling on the not so positive traits of others and of myself, I create a less than happy life for myself and for others. It is similar to the half empty or half full discussion. Life can be difficult without my thought patterns making it more so.

Prayer:  Father God, you are all loving, all good, and all forgiving.  If I spend time in prayer and reading Scripture, I can direct my daily thoughts to reflect your truth and goodness.  Please help me to think thoughts that will lead me to a life that honors you, your Word and your teachings.

Connie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment