Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, January 22, 2024

Strangers in a New Land

For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me. Matthew 25:35

Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13: 1-2

Christmas Eve we worshipped at my grandson's church in Iowa. There was a young couple there with a cute energetic toddler. Everyone in their pew took turns entertaining him and blocking his path out of the pew. Even an elderly grandpa seated behind him joined in watching over this child, making faces and tickling him. Everyone was delighted in hearing his beautiful laugh and seeing his smiles. I assumed they were all one big family. Only later did I learn that the couple and child were the town's most recent immigrants from Ukraine. It became obvious how much love had been given this family through the churches and the community. What could have been a terrible story of people alone in a new land has turned into one of hope and caring.  

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for love shown to these strangers in a new place. Thank you for the effort of the total community to welcome others and be seen as their extended families. Thank you for guiding them to safety from war worn countries. As we see new immigrants in our own community, help us to show hospitality and welcoming - recognizing their need for safety and peace in their new land. Amen 

Nancy Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment