Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, January 3, 2022

Go, Tell it on the Mountain!

Go, tell it on the mountain

Over the hills and everywhere

Go, tell it on the mountain

That Jesus Christ is born!

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Having a conversation with a friend, they mentioned a person and through the conversation she was surprised that I knew that person. I said yes, I graduated with them. The friend stated I never felt a warm feeling when around this person.  I said they had a hard life and they really have a heart of gold. 

When supervising an employee, the employee was not one of my top performers.  Unfortunately, his life changed dramatically when he lost four relatives within a few short weeks. I attended each of these funerals in support, not because I knew any of them but wanted to let him know others cared. After a few months, I noted his performance improved and he was reaching to be one of my top employees. During a review, I mentioned that I really appreciated his efforts and that if he needed anything to continue in his work area let me know. He told me that I was the only person from work that attended his family funerals and that it really felt good to know someone cared enough to attend.  

How easily we interpret someone’s personality without really knowing them. I know that I myself do not at times seem approachable. I am usually in some deep thought of things I need to do, people I am concerned about and just daily activities. I do try to improve with a smile or a hello; and address the person, looking in their eyes for a connection. 

We judge others so quickly by the way they dress, their hairstyle, their jewelry and even their expression. What would it be like if we allow that person to be truly known for who they truly are. Okay, maybe they don’t have the same beliefs, political standings, or even the same monetary lifestyle; but deep down we all need to feel that someone cares, that someone will be there for them.

Just living the lifestyle God wants us to live and tell of the love He has for everyone. Not just a few, but everyone. Showing kindness, showing patience, showing respect to everyone is an expression of God’s love. Giving up your seat for someone, letting someone else have that parking stall close to the door.  Maybe helping someone at the checkout counters when they are a few cents short. Just small acts become big reactions. Show His love and celebrate as we have the last month of the wonderful news that God gave us His son. 

Prayer: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our debts as we also have forgiven our debtors; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever. Amen.

Lori Hood


No comments:

Post a Comment