Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, January 14, 2022

Beauty in the Everyday

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. 1 Chronicles 16:34

For from him and through him and for him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen. Romans 11:36

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds. Psalm 9:1

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

I’ve been doing picture puzzles on my phone with an app called Art Puzzle from Easybrain. In addition to being a calming activity, I love how the dreamy, Disney-like artwork shows the beauty in the everyday. For example, a puzzle might simply be a kitchen scene with cookbooks and a pet cat sharing space with a Coca-cola can and an overgrown plant.

I thought: if we appreciate the beauty around us, will it make us happier? More content? I’m not sure, but I know God probably approves if we look at what’s around us in a grateful, thankful sense. As we head into another new year, let us take this opportunity to practice gratitude. In particular, appreciation for what we see around us. If we can’t see it (perhaps due to failing eyesight), maybe it’s something we hear or feel. Beauty in the everyday moments. Thank you, God, for this beauty in our immediate realities.

It’s winter. While there may not be snow on the ground to lend an air of beauty, I do notice little things while I’m out taking photos (winter photos included below). The hues of winter include grays and browns that may sound drab, but are really lovely: the foggy, dreamy quality of the background on a cold day when the sky is overcast.

Gratitude and noticing nature are subjects I return to often (as those of you who read this online ministry have noticed!). I think practicing gratitude benefits us many times over. In Brene’ Brown’s newest book, Atlas of the Heart, the section on gratitude confirms that this emotion positively affects our well-being. (More on Brene’ Brown’s book in an upcoming devotion!)

In a video clip I recently watched, the author spoke of "cultivating joy". The two things he suggested doing were "paying attention to the positive conditions that are already present in your life" and practicing "nowhere to go, nothing to do" (he suggests sitting quietly and just being present), both of which echo the choice to be grateful.

Take a walk outside today, or simply look at your surroundings, taking notice of things you may usually pass over or pass by. Start a gratitude journal. Make a list of things in which you’re thankful. Say a prayer, thanking God for those little things (and big things) in your life.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to notice the beauty around me. Help me to look at life in a new way, to appreciate the world around me. Amen.

Donna Gustafson          

(click on photos below to view larger)










No comments:

Post a Comment