Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Caring for One Another

If we are distressed, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which produces in your patient endurance of the same sufferings. 2 Corinthians 1:6

When I was a child, I often erupted in anger and maybe in my aging process, I am reverting to childhood for suddenly I seem to have less time for foolish people. Less time to feel concern for the person who chooses not to wear a mask. Less time to care for the young adult who seems to be feigning illness to get added attention. Less patience for the person who runs a red light or speeds ahead of me or turns sharply into my path. Less tolerance for foolish conversations or use of insulting slurs.

Sometimes I voice my complaints to the man with whom I live. He often answers gently, tomorrow is another day. At least I am not alone to stew in my discontent or dismay.

Today a letter came from a recent widow friend of ours. Her only daughter also died not many years ago. She wrote the following, “Spending this sacred Christmas Day home alone facing oneself with 100% honesty in peace with one’s God – a gift all its own. I am so grateful for the special people God has put in my life.”

Good grief, thought. Carolyn, have more patience. Be thankful for what you have. There is still soft snoring in the night, someone to hold my hand when I laugh or cry and sometimes after I have yelled aloud. We were certainly not alone for Christmas and even if we had been, zooming would have filled the afternoon with thoughts and feelings of love and companionship and we would have had one another.

How many people did spend Christmas Day alone? How many people spend day after day alone? During this very odd time in our lives when we face the outside world with a certain amount of fear, are we forgetting how to communicate with others, how to feel for one another’s problems? Do we even know about one another’s problems? And the worst part is, do we even care?

Can we spend a few moments each day trying to be more caring and more loving toward our fellow man, woman, and child? Maybe 2022 will be different, but even as I have my doubts, I also have my hopes.

Prayer: Dear Lord, hear our prayers. Help us to help one another, to be there for others and to be happy in spite of doubts of the future and also to be loving toward our fellow man.

Carolyn Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment