Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Make Me an Instrument of thy Peace

Flee the evil desires of your youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call in the Lord out of a pure heart.  Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 2 Timothy 2:22-24.

Our nation is divided worse than I can ever remember. There is little or no peaceful and respectful listening going on between groups and individuals with opposing views. In its place are frightening displays of mean and hurtful rhetoric, petty behaviors, and even acts of violence. Hate is powerful, but I know love, especially that which springs from God's love, is more powerful.  True love for one's fellow man, true belief that we are all created equal and are deserving of respect, dignity, and kindness is the only path to a peaceful world.  We are each directed by Paul, in this scripture, to do our part.

This past weekend the news was filled with examples of that kind of love and peace both in Senator John McCain's funeral coverage and in the sharing of Mollie Tibbett's father's plea for a stop to associating his daughter's death with racist thoughts and hatred. Both Senator McCain and young Mollie strove to live lives of love and peace toward others. These events have renewed my hope for our nation and for our world. They also have renewed my commitment to do my part, in every way, every day, to bring peace and love to others.  

I know that goal will not always be easy, and even in my personal life, may involve swallowing my pride and certainly putting my ego on hold for the greater good of peace and harmony. I will not always succeed, but I have a revived and renewed commitment to this as my mantra. It brings to mind a Christian mantra that was very widespread ten to fifteen years ago. "What would Jesus do?"

My 97 year old Mother and I have both chosen the Prayer of St. Francis as a funeral hymn. This has been a favorite prayer and song of Catholics and other Faith denominations since its original publication in 1912. There is no evidence in St. Francis of Assisi's writings of him penning this, however. But it is a powerful reminder of God's direction for us to bring His love and peace to others.

Prayer of St. Francis
Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy. 

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive,
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
It is in dying that we are born to Eternal life.

Connie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment