Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, September 24, 2018

Children are the Future


Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Psalm 127:3 

I have taken four names from the prayer board at church and they are visible several times during the day. What is unusual is I don’t know any of the four that I selected, but I pray for them as if they were my own grandkids. I wonder how they are doing in school, are they being bullied, are they happy, are they learning, are they being fed? I don’t have pictures of them, but I have the school card with their name and I look at them as if they were pictured in front of me. It is such a simple thing to do, it doesn’t cost anything, in my opinion not even time; as I am already talking to God about friends and family and these four children are added. I am surprised that there are any names left on the board. Pastor Thomas mentioned putting them/it on your car visor so that every time you get in your car you see it. I carry mine around in my purse. I am in my purse so many times during the day that I see them all the time. But I pray for them even when I don’t have the cards as I have become familiar with their first names enough, to pray just whenever. 

I have seen many comments on Facebook, and I hear comments about the youth of today usually negative. Could some of this be because as a community we don’t take the time to lead them? Do we take the time to show them activities that are constructive and learning? I had an Uncle Sherman; he was a kid at heart until he died in his nineties. He would show children how to play horseshoes, put up fence posts, talk about the birds and how to recognize what kind they were. He always had something for the youth that he met along his life, and most of the time it wasn’t an expensive venture, it was using whatever he had and what he could make out of it. Now my Uncle Bob was also a kid at heart, his skill was getting kids involved in playing together. He would be around a group of kids and if nothing else it was a water fight, not with the fancy toys they have now for water fights; but a bucket, pail, bottle, and yes even a hose. The kids were active, had fun, got to know each other and learned sportsmanship. 

Are we spending the time, effort and resources for our children of today, to be prepared for the future?

Prayer: Dear Father, please help us to remember to share our skills, time and talent with the children of today. Help us to remember to read a book, teach them crochet, teach them skills for their future. Please watch over our children and guide them in the path of righteousness. Guide them in the plan you have set aside for each and everyone of them. Bless the children with your comfort and strength to get through their struggles each day. Thank you, Father, for the wonderful children you have given us and may be always remember how blessed we are to have them in our lives. Amen
Lori Hood




No comments:

Post a Comment