Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 28, 2018

Addition and Subtraction


“For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.” Ecclesiastes 3:1 

I yearn for the lazy days of summer.  Not so long ago, we struggled with the cold and snow of winter.  Now, it is almost time for the fall schedule to “rev up”.  Where did summer go?

When I feel overwhelmed with demands on my time, I take time to add something to my schedule.

I add a thank you prayer: Thank you God, for each breath, each hour and each day.

I add a prayer for a friend or neighbor or a church member going through a rough time: God, give me empathy to feel and be with those who need your loving care.

I add a prayer for leaders in our church, in government, and of youth:  God, give your guidance to leaders who may feel alone and overwhelmed with their responsibilities.

I add a prayer for myself: God, I pray that you will guide me to be and do all that you have planned for me.

When I add these to my day, I subtract petty thoughts, irritations that don’t really matter, and selfish concerns. 

Isn’t it wonderful how God’s math works!

Prayer: Thank you, God for reminding us to live like butterflies. Butterflies count not months, but moments, and yet have time enough for what you have planned. Amen.

Lois Poppe (reprinted from 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment