Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, March 20, 2017


MY PERSONAL IMAGE OF JESUS           

 

Jeremiah 29: 13 “When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart.”

 

When I was a child, my mother hung a picture of Jesus standing by a heavy wooden door with a little lamb cradled in his arms. I would sit on the back of the sofa so I could look Jesus in the eye, and talk to him. I told him everything and I had complete confidence that he heard me and understood how I felt.  I had three brothers who often didn’t want to play with me and being a farm family other children were not close. So I made Jesus my best friend.  However, my father was hurt in a farm accident and we sold the farm and moved to Salida, Colorado. Here father healed and after four years we moved to a ranch in southeastern Colorado.  It was twenty-five miles to town so at the age of 13, I again felt alone. My oldest brother started dating a Baptist girl who took him to church each Sunday.  Mother insisted that he take his siblings, too.  The Jesus I met at the Baptist church was very stern and had very strict rules to follow if one were to ever see heaven.  Then graduation came and I was off to college. I left the Baptist Jesus behind and did not attend any church.  After college, I accepted a job at the hospital where I had trained as a Med Tech.  There I met Noel who was serving a year-long internship with the hospital chaplain.  The Jesus Noel worshiped was like the Jesus I knew as a child, warm and loving. However, it took almost ten years for my image of Jesus to become a reality.  That happened when I finally understood the role of the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus was born human but he always knew God had called him to be the person who would bring about God’s new covenant with mankind, i.e. he was to be the sacrificial lamb, without sin, who that would offer himself to God for the sins of each of us.  Yes, I see Jesus as the person who died so that when I die I will take a seat behind Him and enjoy his fellowship forever.  I see Jesus as my traveling companion through life. Jesus is the father who kept me safe as a child and the mother who taught me the meaning of life and how to live it. I am his willing servant.

 

PRAYER: Thank you for giving us a “thirst” for you and setting us on our journey to claim the prize you made possible through the death and resurrection of Jesus.  We recognize that the prize of salvation and companionship was given at a great cost we cannot repay even if required of us.  We know and willingly accept our responsibilities as your children.  Help us to remain committed to this relationship throughout life.  When we stray bring us back for the only life we want is a life shared with you.   Amen.

 

Contributed by Noel and Jane DeKalb

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment