Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017


Do Right   

 

Deuteronomy 6:18a  “You shall do what is right and good in the sight of the Lord.”

 

James 1:22 “But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers only, who deceive themselves.”

 

I Peter 3:14 “But even if you do suffer for doing what is right, you are blessed.”

 

Galatians 6:9 “So let us not grow weary in doing what is right, for we will reap at harvest-time, if we do not give up.”

 

When our children were young, bedtime prayers were part of our daily ritual.  Many families repeated variations of this familiar bedtime prayer:

 

            “ Now, I lay me down to sleep,

            I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

            If I should die before I wake,

            I pray the Lord my soul to take.”

 

I felt this prayer might be scary for my children.  After each of my children said their nightly prayers of praise, thanksgiving, and asking God’s forgiveness, I would conclude with the following prayer.

 

“We ask God to keep you safe through the night and help you to do right tomorrow.”

 

I sometimes wondered if my children understood the meaning of “do right.”  Parents and teachers often admonish children to “be good.”  Do children really know what it means to “be good?”  Likewise, do they understand what it means to “do right?”

 

How do we know how to do right?  I believe that God’s love for us, and our love and appreciation for God will lead us to do what is right. It will lead us to spend time with God, and love others more.  Sometimes, we know the right thing to do.  The hard part is doing it.  Scripture and the Holy Spirit guide us in knowing ways we can do right. We know that no matter what, God is with us and forgives us when we fail to do right.  Lent is a time that we focus on how we can more closely follow God’s direction.

 

PRAYER: Dear God, help us to not grow weary in doing what is right.  Thank You for Your assurance that You are always with us.  Thank You for forgiving us again and again.  Amen.

 

Contributed by Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment