Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, March 14, 2017


GOSSIP    

 

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

 

I’ve been reading a book called “The Happiness Project”, in which one woman decided to consciously try activities to bring happiness. Month by month, she made goals & lists in order to experience greater satisfaction in her life. Many of her ideas are principles that I believe have a Christian basis, and, one in particular, resonated with me. It was “eliminate gossip”.

 

Gossip is something I think many of us struggle with…I know I do. The author of "The Happiness Project" tells us that one of the reasons those of us in smaller communities tend to gossip is to “reinforce community values: it makes people feel closer to each other, it unifies people who play by the rules, it helps people get a sense of the values of their community, and it exposes the misbehavior” of those who don’t necessarily follow the “rules”. You may think, well, that makes sense, so is gossip really that bad?

 

Gossip is harmful to not only ourselves, but those we gossip about. This may seem
like a no-brainer, but, studies show that something called “spontaneous trait transference” causes people to unintentionally transfer to me (or you) the traits we ascribe to other people. In other words, if I tell you that Bob is arrogant, unconsciously you associate that quality with me.

 

Proverbs, that tome of wisdom in the Bible, is full of verses that condemn gossip.

 

A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy man keeps a secret. Proverbs 11:12-14

 

A perverse man stirs up dissension, and a gossip separates close friends.

Proverbs 16:27-29.

 

The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts.

Proverbs 18:7-9 .

 

Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down.

Proverbs 26:19-21.

 

Dear Lord: When I am tempted to gossip, help me to say something positive instead. When I forget to do this, forgive me. Help me become more like you in every way. Amen.

 

 

Reprinted from “Daily Devotional Guide March 2010 By Members and Friends of the Congregation

Of Sheldon United Methodist Church”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment