Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, December 18, 2023

How Does a Weary World Rejoice? We Sing Stories of Hope

The Sound of Hope

We’ve been singing a sad song

for quite some time,

the melody syncing with our heartbeats,

the lyrics stamped to the front of our minds.

You say, sad songs are honest.

It’s hard to disagree,

for sad songs tap us on the shoulder.

Sad songs remind us

of the 100 different corners

heartbreak could be behind.

But I don’t have it in me

to sing a sad song forever.

So despite the news,

despite the aches in my body,

despite the phone call last night

that says she’s waiting for the test results,

despite yesterday’s shooting,

despite the unknown and unchanged,

I am going to sing a song of hope.

Like a canary in a snowstorm,

I don’t need another song of what is;

I need a song of what could be.

So sing with me.

Our voices may get drowned out by the wind,

but surely someone will ask:

Was that a flash of yellow in the snow?

Was that the sound of hope?

Poem by Rev. Sarah (Are) Speed

reprinted with permission from A Sanctified Art

No comments:

Post a Comment