Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

As Long as You’ll Come Back for Me

"Let not your heart be troubled.  Believe in God; believe also in me….And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. John 14: 11-3 

My six-year-old grandson and his dad visited me recently. During our conversation, my son asked my grandson if he thought he would be willing to sleep overnight at my place. In the past, when their family stayed in my house, they all slept in an extra bedroom or went to a motel with a swimming pool. My grandson answered quickly, “Yeah, as long as you’ll come back for me.” 

Isn’t that the promise Jesus made when he left us behind? John and several other Old Testament books record this affirmation—that Jesus will one day return to take us to our heavenly home. The challenge we face is to patiently live our lives based on the example Jesus provided when he walked the earth, for we know not the hour or day of his return. But we can find comfort in the promise Jesus made, “I will come again and take you to myself.” 

Prayer: Lord God, help us rest easy in the assurance that Jesus Christ will one day return to earth to take us home with him. Let us be patient, knowing that He will be back for each of us. Amen

Carol McClain

No comments:

Post a Comment