Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, May 26, 2022

Teach Us to Number Our Days

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. Psalm 90:12 

Be careful, then, how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil.  So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Ephesians 5:15-17  

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 

The older I get, the more I find myself wishing I had more time...in my day...in my week...in my life. I want more time, but do I really need more time? The song, “Life in My Day”, by Newsong, really speaks to me about this: “I can't help feeling I'm always behind/ So much that I could do, if I could just find the time/ But then it hits me/ Time is not the answer/ You've given me/ All the time in the world/ All that I need is/ A little more life in my day/ A little more of your life/ A little more faith/...A little more of your light/ To show me the way/...Lord I need more of you/ In all that I do.” 

Even if sometimes it doesn't feel like it, God gives us exactly the amount of time that we need. It's a “good and perfect gift” from him. We wish for more time but should instead try to concentrate on using this fleeting and precious gift wisely.  Let me tell you, this isn't easy to do. I try to focus on what God wants me to do, but sometimes get overwhelmed because so many things seem equally important... what order should I do them in? Also, too often, I become distracted by more attractive or fun options. And sometimes, I'm in such a hurry, I'm oblivious to what God wants.  

Jesus was able to balance his time perfectly—whether slowing down and praying, or moving ahead boldly. He could do this because he fully trusted God—his wisdom, his Word, his will. This is what I must do also... living under his guiding hand at all times. Am I resting, refreshing, pondering and noticing when he calls me to slow down? Am I seeking, listening, trusting and moving when he calls me get going? If I “Trust in the Lord with all my heart, and do not depend on my own understanding,” if I “Seek his will in all I do,” then I can be certain “ he will show me which path to take.” (from Proverbs 3:5-6) 

Prayer: Dearest Jesus, we regret all the time we've wasted following our own way instead of yours. Please forgive us! We want to be good stewards of the time you've given us, so “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” And thank you for each and every precious moment you give us. Amen. 

Sharon Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment