Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Trust the Lord

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. Psalm 28:7 

I received a call from Christian Heritage Children’s Home because I have been a donor for many years. It was totally unexpected. They wanted me to join in their fundraiser. This wasn’t unusual because I had been associated with Christian Heritage since they were founded in a little town south of Lincoln, Nebraska. Both founders had passed away, but I had continued to give a yearly donation and maintained a relationship with the staff. They have a five-house community by their office building east of Lincoln on Old Cheney Road which houses foster children and children brought out of traumatic situations. Having been a foster mom to eleven different children, my heart loves their work. 

Okay, the unusual part was they asked me to rappel down the Cornhusker Hotel during the fundraiser. Although we had skied in many areas in Colorado, I had never rappelled down the side of a mountain, let alone a city building. I needed to trust the Lord. 

The day of the event I arrived at the hotel, was sent to the training and preparation rooms and felt the pressure of trying something totally new in my 70th decade. The people in charge were calm and knew just exactly how to tell us to lean back and start walking backwards down the hotel. I have to say I was a little antsy at that time. I did trust the Lord and the trappings. I only looked down once and heard the voices of my granddaughter and family members. 

Christian Heritage is doing well and now has the Christmas Light Show fundraiser where hundreds of cars visit and see the manger scene as they drive through the barn during the holiday season. Many are blessed by Christian Heritage. 

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for confident workers that can help us try new and fascinating challenges. Thank you for being with me each and every day. Thanks for the beautiful songs of praise we have to worship you, our creator and sustainer through all things. 

Sandra Hilsabeck 

No comments:

Post a Comment