Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Entertaining Angels

Don’t forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! Hebrew 13:2

I love our faith community for many reasons but due to a recent experience, my heart was lifted as I witnessed others sharing God’s love in a very personal way.

Due to some health changes that have stifled her independence in providing food and other basic needs, I learned my friend was struggling. I offered to help her with a few groceries. It was quickly evident that food insecurity was worse than I first realized. Connecting with social services that could provide help was needed. Loneliness, fears as the result of a recent trauma, lack of transportation, and anxiety were compounding her isolation. Maybe more than food even, she needed a friend.

She inquired about my church and was very enthusiastic about visiting. From the moment we entered the building, she was greeted warmly with a handshake and a smile! It wasn’t just one person but I mean EVERY person near us welcomed her, looked her in the eyes, asked her name, and introduced themselves to her. After the service, she sat at a table in the Welcome Center while I washed my hands. When I came out, she was surrounded by three people visiting with her! When she returned the next week, she was greeted her by name!

You see, she is a person who is very aware of people’s reaction to her. I imagine she isn’t always greeted with this same kindness. Previous experience tells her that many times, others don’t see her as a real person. They first judge her clothes and hair. While clean, they may not be considered stylish or perfect-fitting. People misunderstand and aren’t always patient when she repeats things, moves slowly, or speaks too fast. She shared with me later she didn’t want to return to her previous church because they “ignore me”.

Friends, I hadn’t asked anyone to be “nice” to my guest. Kindness was extended because that’s your character! She met God’s love through those who greeted her with warm, genuine hospitality. This “angel” had to first feel that acceptance for her to truly receive the message through the sermon, scripture, and music. She did and as a result, found hope and a place to belong! I’m thankful you are God-filled people, living your faith with compassion and love. By doing so, you may have entertained an angel without realizing it!

Prayer: Dearest Lord, Thank you for this community of faith-filled people! Help us to live our faith in ways where, You working in and through us, others will know the love, grace, and hope only you can provide. Amen

Diane Worrell Eaton

No comments:

Post a Comment