Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, May 24, 2021

Identities

The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.  He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God-children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. John 1:9-13

As I was driving to work one day, I followed a vehicle with a personalized license plate reading “JENZ MOM.” Of course, little else in my life has given me more pleasure than to be known as “Gina’s mom,“ and “Matt’s mom,” and “Erin’s mom.”  But I began to think about my other identities: wife, daughter, sister, “in-law“…grandmother, aunt, cousin…friend, neighbor, colleague, citizen. 

As I pondered, I came to realize that my most important identity is that of Christian, a child of God. For ultimately, it is my understanding of God’s love and my relationship with Christ which form the thoughts, words, and actions that shape and define all my other relationships. 

Prayer: Heavenly Father,  it is an incomparable privilege to be a “Child of God.” We thank You for Your unfailing love and pray that we can be worthy members of Your family. Amen. 

Judith Keller, reprinted from March 2009

 

No comments:

Post a Comment