Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

What Species?

Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:16  

“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Matthew 5:13-16

And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?  Matthew 6:27                                                  

“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Matthew 6:25   

Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’  Matthew 6:31                                     

And which of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life’s span?  Luke 12:25                                                      

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

Recently a friend mentioned that some bird species I had photographed this summer are considered invasive. I struggled to understand the need to kill cute little sparrows, similar to those that nest just under the eaves here at Eastridge Presbyterian and near my backyard. This is because they might take away resources that other, more desirable (and, sometimes, native) birds need; I get it. I’m not completely against the idea of limiting the scope of invasive species, because, I admit, I am uncomfortable when I see those videos of Asian carp jumping into boats, seemingly by the thousands. Just google Asian carp and you will see what I mean. 

The word invasive means: (especially of plants or a disease) tending to spread prolifically and undesirably or harmfully. (When referring to species, invasive can also mean not native to an area).

I don’t think of humans themselves in this way, but maybe the actions of humans. Maybe our thoughts and plans become “invasive” when they affect others in a harmful way. Or: can negative thoughts become invasive in our lives? We may “worry ourselves sick” over something that is beyond our control, even when we understand that our best course of action might be prayer.

Instead of invasive, keystone species are creatures (like wolves, beavers, elephants) that exert disproportionate influence on the world around them. After reading an article in National Parks magazine about this concept, it occurred to me that it’s almost the opposite of invasive. The definition is: a species on which other species in an ecosystem largely depend, such that if it were removed the ecosystem would change drastically. Think if we, as humans, tried to represent the keystone that God is in the lives of those with whom we come into contact. Borrowing from the actual definition of the word “keystone”: the central principle or part of a policy, system, etc., on which all else depends.

I like the dichotomy. Think of yourself as striving to become “keystone” instead of “invasive”.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to shine your light and influence others in a positive way. I want my thoughts to be on You and your word, not my own worries and obsessions. Calm my fears, and show me how to reach out to others and represent You in the world. I may not be a keystone, but I can represent You, who is the foundation “on which all else depends”. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

(photo of a house sparrow (invasive) taken at Eastridge Presbyterian Church and an elephant (keystone) taken at Smithsonian Zoo in Washington, DC, both by Donna)


1 comment:

  1. I really like this thought process Donna. You give us a good challenge here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete