Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

My Daffodils

The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and his compassion is over all that he has made. All thy works shall give thanks to thee, O Lord, and all thy saints shall bless thee!   --Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endures throughout all generations. Psalms 145: 8-13

Since my retirement, I like to live a predictable life. I eat regular meals, cook my favorite things, have my quiet time, see my family and friends regularly, attend church and other meetings, go shopping for whatever, whenever I want, and plan my daily activities. These last few months have changed all that. Life is very unpredictable with Stay at Home orders and social distancing, businesses closing or adapting their services, hospitals and health care providers preparing for the worst. Churches are closed for Easter, the schools are closed, our plans to travel to see loved ones are cancelled, and I rely on my family to shop for groceries for me. There are no reliable predictions to when this will all end, and we will return the a “new normal”.  

Then I look outside and wonder at God’s predictability. My daffodils are blooming—as they have for the 30+ years since I planted them at my home in Lincoln. March 1st provided several colors of crocuses blooming joyfully despite a douse of snow and varying weather. Yes, even the short dandelions are there. The green leafy spears of other bulbs promise tulips, lilies, and spiderworts. My son in law has mowed my lawn for the first time and fertilized. Being a birdwatcher, I noted that the Turkey Vultures arrived on schedule around April 1st, and the chipping sparrows chipped happily in the trees and at my feeder. I’ve been inundated with black birds in their migration, but have enjoyed the red winged ones with their dash of yellow and red. I’ve enjoyed the return of the house finch, and the occasional purple finch. The juncos have disappeared north with the promise of warmer weather. The mourning doves are making courtship moves on my deck rail. The duck migration has begun at Holmes Lake. All these things remind me that God created us and that his dominion lasts throughout generations. Even in change, God is predictable. 

Prayer: Heavenly Father, help us through these times of change. We thank you for your everlasting love that can see us through these times of unpredictability. Help us to remember in our prayers those around us who are suffering. Amen

Nancy Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment