Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Reflecting on Goals


Moreover, when God gives someone wealth and possessions, and the ability to enjoy them, to accept their lot and be happy in their toil – this is a gift of God.  They seldom reflect on the days of their life, because God keeps them occupied with gladness of heart. Ecclesiastes 5:19-20

In November I was able to complete my professional certification. This has been a goal for me since I finished graduate school 5 years ago. Like many, at the end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020 with a whole new decade laid out in front me I wondered what my next steps should be. What new goals would I look forward to. What new adventures could I find.  

In the weeks following I have had many conversations with family, friends and close mentors about what happens when you complete a big life goal. When I was 25 I set out some BIG goals. I wanted to finish my bachelors (2011), obtain a masters (2014) and get certified in my field (2019). I wanted to own a home (2009). I wanted to travel to another country (2019). I wanted to go on a Boy Scout High Adventure trip (2008). I wanted to run a half marathon (2013 and 2014). I wanted to be more active in my church community (Board of Deacons 2010-2012 and 2014-2016). Of those 2002 goals I have crossed nearly all off the list, and I’ve been left to wonder where I should put my energy next. 

This verse has helped my perspective. I need to take time to be happy and joyful for these gifts from God. I have not reflected well on all these achievements and have instead crossed one off the list and raced ahead to the next one. For now, I have established some new goals…they aren’t as big or dramatic as some of the things I set forth to do in my 20s but I feel like they can bring the same level of fulfilment. I want to ride my bicycle a metric century (62 miles) – ok that one is left over from when I was 25. I want to be 100% debt free when we retire. I want to travel outside the United States every 3-5 years. These larger goals will require small goals to build on along the way – I have to have a plan for reducing and eliminating debt over the next 24 years. I have to ride my bike pretty regularly and train if I am going to make it 62 miles. I need to make a savings plan for my travel appetite. I know I am missing a few that are important to me… I want to learn more about the writing of the Bible. I want to find a new way to volunteer with something I am passionate about. I want to be a lifetime learner. I want to be occupied with gladness of heart. 

Prayer: Loving God, thank you for watching over me as I work on accomplishing my goals.  I know that you have a plan for me and the rest of my life.  Help me to be happy with the wonderful gifts you have given and experience the joy I know you desire for your children on earth.  Amen

Christi Moock

No comments:

Post a Comment