Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, February 20, 2020

Oh, the Mess!

We enjoyed our recent photography session for the church directory. It reminded me of family photo day several years ago. My daughter and I were getting ready in the same bathroom. The makeup was done, the clothes were selected, teeth were brushed; last came the hair. I was looking into the wall mirror as I picked up the one in my hand and raised it behind my head, so I had views from all angles. The front of the hair was fine but I grumbled a little, as the back just wouldn’t cooperate. I preferred it fluffed and rounded, not flat or irregular. Add a little spray, fluff a bit; add more spray, pat it back down; adjust the mirror, fluff some more. (Come on, ladies, you know what I'm talking about!) My daughter started laughing as she watched this routine. She said, “mom, I don’t know why you’re even worried about the back. Only the front of your hair and face is what the camera will see. No one will notice or care what the back of your head looks like.” Ha! She had a point!

Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 1 Corinthians 13: 12

How often do we put our best face forward, never allowing our messy, disheveled lives to be shown? We put on a smile, while choking back tears and screams. People ask us how we are and we answer, “fine”. We somehow make it through the day, even as our stomachs are tied up in knots.

How often do we fail to notice what’s behind some one else’s “fine” response or miss what they are hiding behind their smile? Do we inquire about how another person is doing but then stop, and really listen to their reply? Do we jump to unfair conclusions and judge others? Are we hesitant to even be involved? We may never know what it took for them to get out of bed that morning.

We might be tired, stressed, anxious, depressed, grieving, scared, bored, hurt, angry, lonely, ashamed, or unsure. Our tough or tidy exterior masks the truth. Allowing ourselves to expose our messy parts isn’t always easy. Vulnerability is scary and uncomfortable but can be quite freeing! I appreciate others who allow their vulnerability to come through. It empowers me to do the same. The place I find the most peace, though, is when I’m truly honest with Jesus and accept His grace.

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as a man sees; man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on his heart. 1 Samuel 16:7

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

We can run. We can hide. We can cover up but there’s no fooling Jesus. He knows our every doubt, hears our cries, counts our tears, forgives our mistakes, and loves our hearts. He sees all our messiness and loves us through it!  

Prayer: Jesus, our friend, We know You see the “whole” of us. Thank you for being our safe-haven where we can truly be ourselves, let down our guard, and trust Your sincere love. Work through us as we meet others. Help us to be mindful and compassionate. Help us to have faith in Your power and Your plan, and accept Your hand as You walk this messy road with us.

Diane Worrell Eaton


No comments:

Post a Comment