Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

See the Good, Be the Good


And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me--everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. (NLT) Philippians 4:8-9 

He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear the Lord and put their trust in him. (NIV) Psalm 40:3 

We all have those times in our lives that really stink. Looking back on those awful days--and in the midst of them--sometimes all we want to do is complain, cry, yell or maybe even throw something. Ouch. In those times, we have to learn to lean hard on God. When we do, he can bring us great comfort. Not only that, but he can give us perspective.

God has taught me to pray this at the beginning of the day, “No matter what this day brings, Lord, please open my eyes to see the good in it.” Lysa TerKeurst, in her devotion “When God Isn't Answering Our Prayers” says: “In the midst of what you’re facing, find simple things for which to praise God. I don’t mean thank Him for the hard stuff. I mean thank Him for the other simple, good things still in the midst. A child’s laugh. A bush that blooms. The warmth of a blanket. The gift of this breath and then the next. Psalm 40:3 reminds me God will give me a new song when I make praise the habit of my heart and mouth.”

God has also taught me to take my morning prayer a step further. I ask him to also open my heart to BE the good in the day ahead. This way, instead of resigning myself to being a recipient of the bad, I try instead to be a giver of good. I say this prayer hoping that God will show me how I can be a blessing...even if it's just a small gesture or a few kind words. The thought of possibly making someone else's awful day a little brighter lightens my heart.

PRAYER: Gracious Heavenly Father, forgive us for losing our cool when our days are awful. Open our eyes to see things the way you do; and open our hearts to love the way you do.  e need your grace to do this, because sometimes looking beyond all the awfulness around us is so very hard to do. And thank you so much for the peace you bring us when we finally learn to trust in you. Amen.

 
Sharon Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment